Car Accident Statistics
Los Angeles is a commuter city; more people spend more time in their cars here than in many other areas of the United States. As a result, car accident statistics for Los Angeles are disturbing, if not necessarily shocking.
According to a report by ABC 7:
- There were more than 54,000 auto accidents in L.A. in 2019
- There were 236 traffic-related fatalities in Los Angeles in 2019
- There was a 32% increase in traffic-related fatalities from 2014 – 2019
Many of these accidents involved collisions and pedestrian accidents on local streets and residential roads, including shopping and commercial districts in and around Beverly Hills.
Negotiation vs. Litigation: Should You Settle Your Car Accident Claim?
When recovering compensation after a car accident, there are two paths to recovery: Accepting a settlement from the liable party’s insurance company or taking the case to trial. At trial, your case will be presented either before a judge or before a judge and jury who will rule on your case and determine the amount of compensation you can receive.
The vast majority of personal injury claims, including auto accident claims, are resolved through settlements. This typically occurs because the liable insurance company recognizes that they are not likely to win at trial. To avoid being on the hook for a potentially bigger payout, they will offer the injured individual a settlement.
It’s important that you have an attorney by your side during settlement negotiations. Often, the insurance company will attempt to pay you much less than your claim is actually worth. Remember, like any other business, insurance companies are primarily concerned with their own bottom lines — not your recovery or your future. An attorney from our firm can represent you during negotiation and help pursue a settlement that covers the full cost of your damages, including your current and future medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, vehicle repairs, and more.
In some cases, the liable party may refuse to admit fault, or they may refuse to budge on a low-ball settlement offer that doesn’t even begin to cover the cost of your damages. So, what can you do? This is where litigation comes in. If the insurance company is refusing to pay the recovery you are owed, your attorney can litigate on your behalf, taking your case to trial and seeking a fair verdict and monetary award. It’s crucial that you work with an attorney who understands and has experience with the trial process.
At BD & J, PC, we are prepared to put our extensive experience and in-depth knowledge of the personal injury system on your side. Our car accident attorneys can provide you with personalized legal counsel regarding whether you should attempt to pursue recovery through negotiation or whether elevating your claim to litigation will be more beneficial to your case.
When You Should Hire a Car Accident Attorney
Do you always need a car accident lawyer to manage a car accident claim? Not necessarily. There are cases in which the claims can be reasonably managed by the two drivers involved and their respective car insurance companies.
You shouldplan on getting an attorney’s help, though, if your car accident involves:
- Serious injuries that require extensive hospitalization
- Death of an injured party
- Contested liability for the accident
- Multiple drivers or parties
- Lawyers hired by the other driver
It is quite common for motorists to deny liability after a car accident, even when the evidence clearly shows they caused it. For this reason, it becomes necessary to hire a car accident attorney more often than you might think.
Advantages of Hiring an Attorney
You can manage a car accident claim on your own if you want. But once you learn about the advantages that a car accident attorney can bring to your claim, you probably will not want to go through it alone.
A few key benefits you will get when hiring a lawyer are:
- Accurate damage calculations: The true extent of harm caused in a car accident is rarely understood immediately after the crash. Instead, it can take days, weeks, or sometimes even months for consequences to come to light, such as a lower back injury that gradually worsens to the point of debilitating pain. An injury lawyer will know how to accurately calculate your total damages based not just on what you have already incurred but also on what you are likely to experience as time goes on.
- Proper evidence use and investigations: When the liable driver insists they are not to blame for your accident, your case can depend entirely on tangible evidence. Do you know where to get it through an investigation and how to utilize it once located? If not, an attorney does. Hiring a lawyer allows you to rest while they do the work for your case, starting with getting the right evidence and using it smartly.
- Negotiation and litigation representation: Your case can end with a settlement negotiation or courtroom litigation. In either situation, you will benefit from ample legal and law experience, which is exactly what a trustworthy attorney will have. When the defending party is represented by a major insurance company, you can assume they will have a dedicated defense team. You should not try to fight them alone if you are not well-versed in liability law and courtroom procedures.
Ready to Speak to a Trusted Beverly Hills Car Accident Attorney? Call Us Today!
At BD&J, we are committed to protecting the best interests of those in need of reliable guidance and competent representation. Following a car accident, you are likely facing a number of unexpected expenses while attempting to put the pieces of your life back together. Allow our Beverly Hills car accident attorneys to focus our resources and energy on resolving your case with ease.