Get started on your Lyft Accidents case by calling us at (855) 906-3699 or filling out our online form today!
Liability in a Lyft Accident
Like Uber, Lyft is a company that also has a $1 million auto insurance policy for drivers and passengers on their way to a destination. However, the company may still try and dodge liability if costly medical bills are on the line. Lyft drivers are considered independent contractors, rather than employees. Therefore, the drivers are not licensed or regulated by the state or municipality, and they are not bound by certain laws that traditional cab drivers are. If Lyft’s insurance company can prove the driver was not “on the clock” when the car accident occurred, they will attempt to deny you compensation for your injury.
Can You Sue Lyft After an Accident?
If you have been involved in a Lyft accident, filing a lawsuit for damages may be your gut reaction. There are some elements of a rideshare accident that may make you reconsider. Since Lyft drivers are independent contractors, suing the rideshare company will not get you anywhere. These companies, therefore, have limited legal liability when a driver causes an accident or acts otherwise negligently.
If you are going to sue the driver or the driver’s insurance company, here are the elements that must be proven:
- The Lyft driver owed you a duty of care
- The Lyft driver failed to uphold this duty of care
- Failure of the driver to uphold this duty was the direct cause of your injuries
- Your injuries are substantial to require compensation
Obtaining the compensation you need to cover the costs of your injuries can be a complex matter. It is important to ensure that you have the legal guidance of a knowledgeable attorney to fight for you and help you file.
What to Do if You Are in a Lyft Accident
After suffering injuries in a Lyft accident, you will want to know what steps to take and how to seek the full and fair compensation you deserve. What you do after the accident will depend on whether you were hit by the Lyft driver or in the vehicle when the Lyft accident occurred.
If you were injured by the negligence of the driver, you will need to prove that he or she was in fact at fault.
Follow these steps to pursue a successful claim:
- Call 911 at once to seek medical attention and document the accident
- File a police report by calling the police or going to the police station
- Gather information from all parties involved — including Lyft insurance information
- Obtain contact information from willing witnesses
- Take photos of the accident, the vehicles involved, and the location
- Contact a Los Angeles Lyft accident lawyer as soon as possible
If you were injured as a passenger of a Lyft accident, it is important to understand what steps you need to take to stay safe and get compensation.
Most steps will be the same as above, but you should also do the following:
- Ask the other parties involved in the Lyft accident for their contact details. You can either write down their driver’s license numbers or take photos of them.
- Don’t contact Lyft before you contact your Los Angeles Lyft accident attorney!
Let Us Take a Look at Your Case
Lyft and other ridesharing service companies have a responsibility to hire safe drivers who can provide their passengers with a safe environment. If there are risks of harm associated with Lyft and its drivers, the company must also provide sufficient warnings and safeguard. Failing to do so could lead to dangerous accidents. If you were injured in a Lyft accident and the company is attempting to deny liability, you will need the help of a skilled Los Angeles Lyft accident attorney to help. Our firm can help you recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and property damage. For the families of those who have died in Lyft car accidents, they may be able to recover compensation to cover the costs of funeral expenses and pain and suffering. Let us see what we can do for you and your family.
Contact us at (855) 906-3699 or fill out our online form to schedule a FREE case consultation with our attorneys.