Riverside Catastrophic Injury Attorneys
Proven Advocacy for the Seriously Injured
Some injuries are so serious that they change a person’s life. A catastrophic injury can result in hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills or may even reach into the millions of dollars for lifelong medical care. An injury may cost a victim their livelihood, self-esteem, and quality of life, and may result in lasting physical pain and suffering. Families of catastrophic injury victims often find that financial devastation comes quickly after an unexpected accident.
If you or a family member have suffered a life-changing injury in an accident caused by someone else’s carelessness, you have rights and should discuss them with a qualified lawyer immediately. At BD&J, our Riverside catastrophic injury attorneys are fierce advocates for the seriously injured. We strive to do whatever it takes to help our clients obtain maximum compensation, bringing them peace of mind that their future needs will be taken care of, and a sense of justice in knowing that the person responsible for their injury has been held accountable.
Our firm has represented clients injured in all types of accidents, including:
- Truck accidents
- Car accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Construction accidents
- Industrial accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Accidents involving defective products
What Makes an Injury Catastrophic?
Injuries are considered catastrophic when the injury causes permanent damage that prevents the victim from performing any gainful employment — in other words, the victim is no longer able to support themselves and their family. Catastrophic injuries can affect a person’s mobility and/or may result in cognitive impairments that make it extremely difficult or impossible for them to work in the same capacity they once did. While some catastrophic injury victims may be able to learn new skills that fit their current limitations through expensive career retraining, many more are unable to maintain any new employment at all.
Catastrophic injuries also come with a host of other consequences. Many seriously injured people can no longer enjoy their favorite hobbies, travel, exercise, or care for themselves without help. Because of this, many catastrophic injury victims also suffer from depression and other mental health issues.
Examples of catastrophic injuries include:
- Severe burn injuries
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Loss of eyesight or hearing
- Organ damage
- Multiple bone fractures
- Exposure to toxic chemicals
Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries are some of the most serious and life-altering injuries a person can sustain. Even “minor” spinal cord injuries can have debilitating effects, leaving victims unable to return to their normal, pre-injury lives. Additionally, the cost of treatment over the course of a victim’s lifetime can be exorbitant when ongoing medical expenses, in-home care costs, lost wages, and other costs are factored in.
At BD&J, our Riverside catastrophic injury lawyers can help you seek full, fair compensation for your damages, including both your current expenses and your future costs.
Spinal cord injuries often lead to serious complications, including but not limited to:
- Paraplegia (paralysis of the lower half of the body/extremities)
- Tetraplegia/quadriplegia (paralysis of the trunk and all four limbs)
- Loss of sensation and/or function
- Sexual dysfunction
- Spasms/changes in reflexes
- Severe immediate and/or chronic pain
- Nerve damage
- Difficulty breathing
We understand just how serious and devastating these types of injuries are, which is why our Riverside catastrophic injury lawyers pursue every avenue of compensation in their efforts to secure a fair recovery on your behalf. While no amount of financial compensation can make up for what you have been through and the challenges you now face, fair compensation can allow you to face these challenges and begin the process of healing and moving forward with your life.
All burn injuries are painful but, while a minor burn can be effectively treated at home, more serious burns require immediate medical attention. Even with prompt emergency treatment and ongoing care, some burn injuries are ultimately catastrophic for victims. Not only are they incredibly painful and physically destructive, but serious burns also bring a significant degree of emotional trauma and scarring.
Burn injuries are categorized according to severity:
- First-degree burns: These are the least serious of burn injuries. First-degree burns affect the top layer of skin only and may result in some swelling or reddening of the skin.
- Second-degree burns: Considered to be moderate burn injuries, second-degree burns can affect both the upper and lower layers of skin and may require medical attention.
- Third-degree burns: These are the most severe types of burn injuries. Third-degree burns affect both the upper and lower layers of skin, as well as underlying tissue and bone. They often result in charred or blackened skin, numbness, and possible infection. Third-degree burns require immediate emergency medical attention and will likely require extensive, ongoing treatment, such as skin grafting and other surgeries.
In addition to being categorized by degree, burn injuries also fall into different types:
- Thermal burns: Caused by contact between the skin and hot objects, such as liquids, metals, flames, and even steam
- Electrical burns: Caused by contact between a person and an electrical current
- Chemical burns: Caused by certain corrosive or caustic chemicals, including acids, detergents, solvents, and other similar items
- Radiation burns: Caused by any harmful radiation, including UVA/UVB radiation from the sun, x-ray radiation, or certain cancer treatment radiation therapies
- Friction burns: Caused by forceful movement across the skin, resulting in a combination of an abrasion and heat burn; road rash is a type of friction burn
- Cold burns: Also known as frostbite, skin can be damaged when it becomes too cold and cells begin to die
Victims who suffer catastrophic burns will need to undergo extensive — and very costly — medical treatment. They will likely be unable to return to work while they recover. Of course, they will also face a considerable amount of physical pain and emotional trauma as a result of their injuries.
At BD&J, our Riverside catastrophic injury lawyers can help you seek compensation for all of your damages, both current and future. If you or someone you love suffered severe burns, we encourage you to reach out to our firm today to learn how we can help. Your initial consultation is free.
Your Initial Case Review is FREE
Negligent people who cause accidents should be held accountable for the harm they inflict on others. If you are seeking an experienced advocate to represent you after a serious accident, turn to the Riverside catastrophic injury lawyers at BD&J. We have decades of combined experience and have recovered more than $1 billion for our clients, including several multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements. Our caring team is standing by to offer you the help you need.